Day 1 : Arrival in Kathmandu 1340m. Overnight at Hotel.
Our Airport Representative will be there to greet you and transfer you to the hotel on your arrival in Kathmandu airport, please check the Nepal Travels Expedition Clipboard.
• Pick up from the international airport.
• Transfer to the hotel by your Group Leader.
• Short preliminary briefing.
• Arriving early gives you an opportunity to explore Kathmandu.
• Welcome dinner and getting to know each other.
Day 2 : Full day Sightseeing tour around Kathmandu valley 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
Today would be the most exhilarating day where your leader introduces you to our city tour expert who guides you to the most pious Hindu and Buddhist religious place that are listed in the world heritage sites and elucidates you the entire mysticism over its existence.
• Breakfast and meet-up at time allotted by your leader for the tour.
• Visit Boudhanath Stupa and Pashupatinath.
• Lunch on your preference.
• Getting together for trek briefing as per the time given by your leader.
• Distribution of company’s trek equipment.
Day 3 : Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara 820m/ 5 to 6 hours.
This morning we take drive to Pokhara, the second biggest city of Nepal, as per your requirement is very entertaining giving you ample opportunity to know how locals live up to drive through these winding roads in a private vehicle.
• 6 hours drive.
• Very relaxing, fabulous scenery with multiple breaks giving you time to stretch and enjoy.
• Lunch stop in one of the highway restaurant with its excellent food choices.
• Being in Pokhara unlike Kathmandu will definitely add more excitement to your anticipation.
• Flying is only 25 minutes that provides you with time to explore the Lake city.
Day 4 : Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom 2720m and trek to Kagbeni 2800m/3-4 hours.
A short morning flight to Jomsom, the district headquarters of Mustang, through the world’s deepest Kali Gandaki Gorge with the glorious view of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri is exceptional.
• 20 minutes breathtaking flight to the windy valley of Jomsom is unbelievable.
• Great view with dozens of Himalayan giants poking into the sky.
• Witness the Kali Gandaki river which dates back to 80 million old flowing from Tibetan Plateau.
• After morning tea walk to Kagbeni, the gateway of Upper Mustang through the ancient salt trade trail is unique.
• Easy walk, lunch at Kagbeni itself – and after lunch excursion around the antique village of Kagbeni which is not to be missed.
Day 5 : Trek to Chele (3050m/ 10,006ft) around 7 hrs.
Today we enter the restricted area of Upper Mustang. As said to be the desert of Nepal the valley widens with barren and arid surroundings with green villages in the middle that appears more like a mirage which is simply incredible.
• Walking on the extended trail with Kagbeni and Nilgiri mountain at the backdrop is dazzling.
• Witness the different part of the world, the land of ammonites (prehistoric stone) with striking views.
• The stretch of Kali Gandaki river bed gives u the ancient history of its existence.
• The dramatic setting of the landscape with canyons and wind eroded hills is phenomenal.
• Lunch at Tangbe or Chhusang, another ancient village.
• Chele is a small beautiful settlement from where u can overlook the valley with its picturesque setting.
Day 6 : Trek to Syangboche (3800m/ 12467ft) walk 6 hrs.
Today’s walk is more into undulating trails with a couple of steep climb and descents. Despite 6 hour walk the tremendous canyons with its unusual color that opens out are extraordinary. In this bizarre, the farming fields with rich red buckwheat and brilliant green and the south view offering you a panorama of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Tilicho Peak, and YakawaKang adds up to its magnificence.
• The initial steep walk through the hill cut trail in one of these tremendous canyons is remarkable.
• You would witness the sky caves which date back more than 3000 years that were used as human settlement, burial chambers and now lama hermit retreats.
• Lunch at the small settlement of Bhena which is now a jeep station but with fabulous scenic beauty.
• Climb up to the pass before dropping down to Syangboche is remarkable for its unexpected views.
• Syangboche is small settlement deep into the valley but has a theatrical setting.
Day 7 : Trek to Ghami (3520m/ 11548ft) walk approx 5 hrs.
From Syangboche we climb gently to a small pass of 3800m/12,467ft with extraordinary views of mountains and deep valleys into the wind eroded canyons. Today’s walk is effortless with few short climbs in between but beautiful scenery alongside would hardly allow us to realize the passing away of time and arrive at Ghami for lunch.
• Endless colorful gullies to the north, east and west which is outstanding.
• South is still dominated by the soaring peak of Nilgiri, Tilicho, and Annapurna.
• After lunch free for an afternoon to explore Ghami, the ancient village with time-honored monastery, Chortens and mani (prayer) walls.
Day 8 : Trek to Tsarnag (3560m/11679ft) 4 hrs.
This short trek to Tsarang takes us into the ‘Land of Chortens”. This trial marks the history and legend of the Indian saint Padmasambhava (750-810 AD), the founder of Tibetan Buddhism who created a fusion of Buddhism with the original Shamanistic religion of Tibet called Bon – whose influence upon the Indian Buddhism makes Tibetan Buddhism so fascinating.
• Half an hour walk from Ghami we see the Longest ancient mani wall of Mustang.
• The soaring red cliffs to the west that tells you the legends of Padmasambhaba is intriguing.
• 4 hours walk brings you to the fascinating big village of Tsarang that just looks dramatic.
• After lunch visit to the ancient Monastery and the white palace of Tsarang which is their heritage.
• Self exploration around maze-like Tsarang is worth it.
Day 9 : Trek to Lo Manthang / witness the Tiji festival starting in the afternoon 5 hrs trek.
Tiji Festival Start 12th May
Finally, we get to the plateau of Lo Monthang, ‘The Capital city and the Plain of Aspiration’ of Mustang. The fabled walled city of Lo, the kingdom with a single entrance is a welcome sight! The king, “Lo Gyelbu”, named Jigme Palbar Bista, still resides at his four-storied palace inside the walled city of Lo Manthang.
NOTE: ENTRANCE FEE MAY BE INCURRED TO SEE THE FESTIVAL FOR 3 CONSUCATIVE DAYS.
• Fascinating solitary ancient chorten in the middle of the road after hour and a half walk from Tsarang.
• The spectacular view of Lo Manthang, valley of Thinkar and Chhosar from 4000m pass of Lo-La.
• View of varied historical ruined forts on the high hills is one of the highlights.
• After lunch exploration into the legendary walled city of Lo.
• Your group leader will organize various thrilling side excursion.
Day 10 : Exploration of cave and monastery in morning and afternoon witness the stunning mask dances performed by monks in Tiji festival
Lo Manthang the capital city of Mustang contains about 150 houses and has some of the largest and finest Tibetan Buddhism gompas in Nepal. The city itself is absolutely fascinating place with four major ancient Monasteries which are impressive and an enormous 14th century palace imposing 4-storey building in the centre of the city.
Highlights and Excursions:
After breakfast your leader will organize a jeep for Chhosar excursion.
What u see in chhosar:—-
• Nyphu Cave monastery built into the side of a soaring cliff.
• 2500 years old Jhong Sky Cave that has more than 44 compartments and gives u the pre historic settlement of humans.
• Free afternoon for Tiji Festival.
Day 11 : Explore the Summer palace and monastery in morning and enjoy the last and final celebration of Tiji festival in Lo Manthang in the afternnoon.
Tiji Festival Ends 14th May
Today we will walk to Thinkar for morning excursion to see the summer palace. Though summer palace is abandoned and not anymore in use yet its worth hiking around. Alternatively we can climb up the view point hill just north of Lo Monthang for the stunning view of all around the valle. Rest of our day, afternoon and night we will be in the palace witnessing the Tiji Festival, the last day of festival which normally takes on open area outside of the palace.
Day 12 : Trek to Dhakmar via Ghar Gompa (3800m/ 12467ft) walk 7 - 8 hrs.
Today we will walk different west terrain which offers you the most beautiful view despite few steep down hill trials. We visit the world’s oldest Tibetan monastery Ghar Gompa built around 7th century by the incarnated monk Padmasambhava.
• We take a different trail that leads us to the world’s oldest monastery, Ghar Gompa.
• The views of landscape and the mountain in the south is mesmerizing.
• Lunch at 7th century monastery is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
• Walk to Dhakmar is thrilling with different trail high above the canyons and eroded hills.
• Dhakmar, a land of red cliffs is one of its kind where overnight is worth it.
Day 13 : Trek to Somar / walk approx 7 hrs.
We trace back to the village of Somar where on the way back you have ample opportunity to look back into the missed out views.
Day 14 : Trek to Kagbeni walk approx 7 hrs.
We again trace back our trail towards south.
• Descending down to the Chhusang with a great view of Nilgiri and a wide stretch of Kali Gandaki is significant.
• Chhusang is another pretty old village with apple orchard, there are too many nepali and Tibetan songs sung portraying the beauty of Chhusang.
• We exit from the restricted area of Mustang and stay overnight in Kagbeni.
Day 15 : Trek to Jomsom ( 2725m) around 3 hrs walk.
This morning we trek along the wonderful trail through more Mustangi villages, where we will feast on delicious apples and see the traditional back-loom weaving techniques being practiced by the local women.
• Being it a last night fun activities follows with dancing, eating, drinking and tipping the local staff.
Day 16 : Fly to Pokhara after the Tiji festival Upper Mustang trekking enjoy for the day and visiting some of the sight spot free for the day.
We take an early morning flight from Jomsom to Pokhara – a fantastic way to round off the trek, flying right along the Kali Gandaki Gorge between the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. Catch further flights to Kathmandu. Over night stay at Hotel.
Day 17 : Drive back to Kathmadnu.
After exploring the peaceful lake city of Pokhara, today we take drive back to Kathmandu which normally takes around 6 hrs. Pokhara Kathmandu flight option is also available on request on extra cost.
Day 18 : Mustang Tiji trekking ends / airport transportation.
Nepal Travels and Expedition make sure to customize the airport transfer as per your flight scheduel. Happy end and continue forhter flight to your home country Tashi Delek.